Infant Mental Health
Little Minds Matter is a targeted specialist infant mental heath CAMH service offering bespoke packages of care to parents living in Portsmouth City, from when they are pregnant to when they have infants aged two years at the point of referral. We specialise in the mother and father relationship with their unborn or new born infant. Evidence has shown that the impact of the main carer's mental health on the developing brain of the baby is most significant at this time. Therefore early intervention is very important.
We will see complex and motivated families. To be accepted to our services at least two risk factors in total from either list below must be present.
The risk factors in vulnerable parents and parents to be could be:
- Parents or main carer has a mental health issue/illness
- History of domestic violent in present or previous relationship
- History of substance abuse
- Traumatic birth/pregnancy
- Looked after children, ie history of emotional deprivation in parents
- Previous/present history of bonding/attachment difficulties
- Previous and ongoing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder affecting the attachment
- Loss of pregnancy/previous child
- Teenage parents
- Refugee/asylum seekers
The risk factors in vulnerable infants could be:
- Failure to thrive
- Development compromised by impoverished, disorganised and/or abusive environments
- Hypervigilant baby/non-responsive baby
- Genetic factors which affect the attachment process
Referrals are accepted from :
- Children's centres
- Other children's service
- Health professionals
- Non statutory organisations
- Parents living in Portsmouth City - to self refer contact Falcon House on 02392 684700
We can help you by offering one to one support in a setting that is good for you and your family, this could be at home, clinic, or somewhere in the community. We could help you get to support groups, refer to other services if needed. The team will support you, in confidence, as much as possible, in understanding the problem and your feelings, suggesting things to do at home with your baby and giving you hope that things can change and get better for your family.
At your first appointment we will listen to you and find out if it would be good for us to see you again, then we will explain the next steps.