SPA, or Single Point of Access, consists of Mental Health Practitioners, or MHPs. They have backgrounds in mental health nursing, teaching and social work. They are all experienced in helping children, young people and their families who are having problems with their feelings, behaviour and friendships, either at home, outside the home or in school or college. SPA offers:
• One place that will receive all referrals for planned (0 to 18 years of age) and unplanned care (0 to 18 years of age) between the hours of 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday
• Standard referral documentation together with guidance on what meets CAMHS criteria using a standardised screening tool
• Access to an advice and consultation line for clients and professionals 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday
• Out of hours there is a 24/7 on call service that can be contacted for emergencies via St James Hospital front hall on 023 9289 4419.
• Telephone and/or face to face assessments for families offering a same day response, within 72 hours or within 10 days
• Access to an up to date menu of resources including the early help offer and evidence based training packages for practitioners working with emotional and mental health needs
• Brief interventions for children and young people who have moderate mental health problems that cannot be managed within universal services.