Referral: This is how you are put in touch with CAMHS; depending on the service you can be referred by GP, school or other health professional

What we don't do

The "What you need help with" section of this site gives a comprehensive list of issues that we provide support for in CAMHS, and across Solent different services will see different presentations.

As CAMHS is concerned with Mental Health issues, we see children and young people who are presenting with difficulties including anxiety, depression, eating disorders, OCD, PTSD, psychosis and self harm. There may be other issues such as those listed below occurring, but a referral can only be made if a mental health issue is present.

What we don't see

There are a range of issues that can be common amongst children and young people but are not necessarily directly linked to their mental health, so cannot be seen with CAMHS. However there are other services in the city that can offer support.

In Southampton the City Council have an Early Intervention Team (MASH) who co-ordinate a range of services.

What is Early Intervention? Early Intervention is support for childern and families in the early years of a child's life, or help as problems emerge.

  • Public - 02380 83 3336 /Professionals - 02380 83 2300
  • Southampton MASH, Southampton City Council, Civic Centre, Southampton, SO14 7LY

Separation/divorce This can obviously be a difficult time for children to deal with conflicting emotions and a changing home environment. Unless there is an associated mental health issue as a result of family difficulties, we would not see children or young people as a result of separation or divorce. However, there are services available through Relate which can offer support to parents, children and whole families to get through these difficult times.

Behavioural management/conduct difficulties Managing children with difficult or challengin behaviour can be incredibly difficult for parents. Challenging behaviour is a common feature in children with learning disabilities, and so if your child is known to an LD service they will be able to offer support in managing this using strategies. However, for other children who do not have a learning disability or a mental health issue, CAMHS are unable to provide support. We recommend referring to a parenting course which is run by the city council.

For more information have a look at their flyer or contact them on 023 9268 8841, email

Bereavement While it is common to feel sad and low when grieving, this is not necessarily an issue that requires CAMHS input. Services are available such as Simon Says which supports children and young people in Hampshire suffering from bereavement and loss.

School refusal This should be managed in the first instance by school staff including an educational psychologist linked to the school.

Substance misuse Young people may have difficulties associated with alcohol and drugs. For more information on support available check out the Switch website which offers a drop in service in Portsmouth.

In Southampton, No Limits provide a free and confidential information, advice, counselling and support for 11 - 25 year olds.

Are you sorted? in Portsmouth, provides lots of information about mental and physical health, lifestyle and other relevant issues for young people aged 16-25.

Counselling Services such as Off The Record provides support for young people aged 11-25 in Portsmouth, Havant and the surrounding areas.

Copyright © Solent CAMHS  2017
accessibility | cookies | sitemap | site help | admin | WebTeam